The Storm Whale
Based on the books by Benji Davies
A Little Angel Theatre, York Theatre Royal, The Marlowe Theatre and Engine House co-production
19 November 2021 – 30 January 2022
See diary for performance times
“enchanting tale, perfectly adapted with little ones firmly in mind”
– Yorkshire Times
Noi lives with his Dad and their six cats by the sea. One winter, while his Dad was busy at work, Noi rescued a little whale that washed up on the beach during a storm. There a friendship began that changed their lives forever.
The following winter Noi’s Dad takes one last trip in his fishing boat. Noi is alone once more and longs to see his friend again. He waits and watches, watches and waits… will it take another winter storm to bring them back together again?
Benji Davies’ tender and heart-warming children’s stories of friendship, love and courage are brought to life as one enchanting theatre show.
The Storm Whale is aimed at ages 4-8, and builds on the simple stories from both the books to create a family show with a wide appeal, exploring friendship, love and loneliness. There is some mild peril when the boy is stuck on the ice, but all ends well.
Or call Box Office to book on 020 7226 1787 (Mon-Fri, 10am-1pm).
£12 children (ages 1-17)
All tickets £8 on Fridays at 4.45pm
Find out more about our Puppets for All scheme, which offers free tickets to families who would otherwise be unable to visit our theatre.
Running Time: One hour 15 minutes including an interval
Tickets for school groups are £6.50 per person (weekdays before 3pm, during Islington term time only).
Sunday 23 January 2022, 3.45pm
Call the box office on 020 7226 1787 to book for a Relaxed Performance.
Call the box office to enquire about booking a weekday Relaxed Performance for a school.
What is a Relaxed Performance? Find out more here.
The visual story for The Storm Whale will be available soon.
What is a visual story? Find out more here.
Based on The Storm Whale and The Storm Whale in Winter by Benji Davies
Written and directed by Matt Aston
Designed by Lydia Denno
Lighting designed by Jason Salvin
Composer / Musical Director Julian Butler
Choreographed by Hayley Del Harrison
Puppet direction by Sue Dacre
Puppets made by Keith Frederick
The Christmas run of The Storm Whale at Little Angel Theatre is dedicated to the memory of our Lighting Designer and dear friend Jason Salvin (1972 – 2020).
Despite changing government restrictions, we will still have additional measures in place to keep our staff, performers and families safe:
- Our staff will be allocating seating in advance, and you won’t be able to choose where you sit. If you need a specific seat, e.g. on an aisle, please let us know in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Staff and cast will be tested regularly for COVID-19.
- All members of Little Angel Theatre staff will be wearing face coverings. All adults will be encouraged to wear a face covering.
- We will be checking temperatures of all attendees on arrival. If someone in your group has a temperature you will be asked to return home and exchange your tickets for another date. If you have an underlying condition which causes you to have a high temperature please bring a doctor’s note with you.
- Hand sanitiser will be available.
- We will be airing the performance area in between shows.
- There will be regular cleaning of the performance space and toilets.
- We have increased our usher to patron ratio to ensure we keep you safe.
- We will be selling merchandise and refreshments but we will be taking card payment only.
Thanks to R&B Health and Safety Solutions for their consultancy and support.