The Smartest Giant in Town
A Little Angel Theatre and Fierylight co-production
Based on the bestselling book by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler
29 May – 8 August 2021
George wishes he wasn’t the scruffiest giant in town. So when he sees a new shop selling giant-sized clothes, he decides it’s time for a new look: smart trousers, smart shirt, stripy tie, shiny shoes. Now he’s the smartest giant in town . . . until he bumps into some animals who desperately need his help – and his clothes!
This heart-warming tale about friendship and helping those in need is brought to life in a musical, puppet-filled adventure, following on from Little Angel Theatre’s bestselling adaptations of Julia Donaldson’s picture books including The Singing Mermaid and The Everywhere Bear.
The Smartest Giant in Town is aimed at ages 3-8. There is nothing scary in the show – the giant is big but very friendly. The story is quite simple, but the show does use new words and song lyrics that are not from the book, so younger children may not follow everything.
Or call Box Office to book on 020 7226 1787 (Mon-Fri, 10am-1pm).
£11.50 children (ages 1-17)
£1.50 babies under 12 months
Please note we will be operating with a limited capacity until at least 19 July 2021, and so we expect there to be a high demand for tickets.
Find out more about our Puppets for All scheme, which offers free tickets to families who would otherwise be unable to visit our theatre.
Running Time: 45 minutes approx.
Call box office on 020 7226 1787 (Mon-Fri, 10am-1pm) or email email@example.com to make a school booking.
Tickets for school groups are £6.50 per person (weekdays before 3pm only, excluding Islington school holidays 31 May – 4 June and 24 July – 8 August).
Maximum capacity for schools is currently 37 people per show due to government restrictions. This will be in place until at least 19 July 2021.
Sunday 18 July, 3.30pm
Call the box office on 020 7226 1787 (Mon-Fri, 10am-1pm) to book for a Relaxed Performance.
Call the box office to enquire about booking a weekday Relaxed Performance for a school.
What is a Relaxed Performance? Find out more here.
The visual story for The Smartest Giant in Town will be available soon.
What is a visual story? Find out more here.
Based on the book written by Julia Donaldson and illustrated by Axel Scheffler
Adapted by Barb Jungr and Samantha Lane
Directed by Samantha Lane
Music and Lyrics by Barb Jungr
Set and Costumes designed by Kate Bunce
Lighting designed by Sherry Coenen
Puppets designed by Judith Hope
Puppets made by Judith Hope, Chris Gadd, Naoko Tagai and Marcus Davies
Set built by Simon Plumridge
Costume Supervisor Louise Smith
Performed by Duane Gooden, Elaine Hartley/Lizzie Wort and Gilbert Taylor
Stage managed by Adam Lovelock
Musical Director, Piano and Keyboard by Jenny Carr
Drums by Jonathan Lee
Bass by Dudley Phillips
Music recorded and mixed by Christoph Bracher
With thanks to Laura O’Connell.
Your safety is our priority. The following measures will be in place to ensure the event is as safe as possible.
- You will be seated on chairs in your household or bubble, and socially distanced from other groups by a suitable gap or a screen. Please note to ensure the best social distancing, our staff will be allocating seating in advance, and you won’t be able to choose where you sit. If you need a specific seat, e.g. on an aisle, please let us know in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Staff and cast will be tested regularly for COVID-19.
- A socially distanced queuing system will be in place. If you feel you will be unable to queue, for example because you would be uncomfortable standing for 10-15 minutes, please let us know in advance by emailing email@example.com.
- All members of Little Angel Theatre staff will be wearing face coverings. All adults and children over 11 attending performances must wear a face covering, in line with government guidance, unless they are exempt. If you are exempt please bring an exemption card with you. You can download an exemption card to print or show on mobile on the government website.
- We will be checking temperatures of all attendees on arrival. If someone in your group has a temperature you will be asked to return home and exchange your tickets for another date. If you have an underlying condition which causes you to have a high temperature please bring a doctor’s note with you.
- Hand sanitiser will be available and we will be asking all attendees to sanitise their hands before entering the performance area.
- We will be airing the performance area in between shows.
- There will be regular cleaning of the performance space and toilets.
- We will be selling merchandise and refreshments but we will be taking card payment only. In line with new government guidance, you will only be able to eat and drink once you are seated.
- In line with government guidance, we will be collecting contact information for every adult in attendance for us to pass on to NHS Test and Trace if we are asked to do so. More info can be found on the government website.
Thanks to R&B Health and Safety Solutions for their consultancy and support.
Please note that some of these measures may be adapted or removed in line with government guidance on or after 19 July 2021.